STAGE DOOR CONSERVATORY
TO HELP - VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Offers four popular summer camp programs in musical theater and the performing arts to children in the 3rd through graduating 12th grade. Based in Berkeley, our programs are in close proximity to Albany, Richmond, Oakland, Piedmont, Alameda and other East Bay and Contra Costa communities. Acclaimed artistically, our day camps provide an enriched, supportive and often profoundly memorable experience for children interested in developing and expressing themselves as young actors and theater artists.
Stage Door Conservatory offers many opportunities for persons wishing
to volunteer. As a volunteer, you can help as much or as little as
you like, helping with one or more of the following activities.
At Performance Time:
Team Leader: Head up one of the volunteer teams
listed below, coordinating the efforts of team members.
- Rehearsal Monitor: Attend rehearsals to monitor
cast member behavior, keep noise levels down, and make sure everyone
gets dropped off and picked up safely after rehearsal ends.
- Costume Assistant: Assist costume shop staff
with taking performer's measurements, record keeping, coordinating
fittings, errands, and simple non-sewing projects.
- Seamstress: Assist in costume sewing or assembly.
- Props Construction: Help create or gather
required props. Sewing skills are helpful, but not required.
- Cast Party Coordinator: Arrange the date and
location, publicize it, gather money, coordinate the event and
- Brochure and Flyer Distribution Team: Distribution
materials promoting the show to area businesses, libraries, rec.
- Clerical Office Help: Help our office staff
by answering the phone, doing data entry, returning calls, preparing
- Public Relations Team: Attend public events
as a Stage Door’s representative. Staff the Stage Door “booth”
at fairs and festivals or introduce Stage Door to local community
- Fundraising/Grants: Research and coordinate
general fund-raising and grant-writing efforts.
- Cast Merchandise Coordinator: Collect t-shirt,
poster, makeup kit and other merchandise orders from cast, place
orders, and distribute merchandise to buyers.
- School Liaison Team: Prepare and distribute
Stage Door registration and show flyers to area schools, and follow-up
with staff/teachers to ensure distribution and encourage field
If you are interested in helping, please contact Rawna Romero at 510-521-6250 or via
- Lobby Sales Team: Place orders for lobby merchandise
items, pick up and prepare flowers, set up and staff merchandise
tables during show times, organize and run daily 50-50 drawing.
- Backstage Monitor: Assist with supervision
of cast member preparations, behavior, noise control and meeting
cues at the proper time.
- Make-Up/Hair Crew: Attend training session;
assist cast members backstage prior to the show and/or during
- Photography Assistant: Coordinate and supervise
actor photo sessions.
- Props Running Crew: From the wings, manage
the prop table by assisting cast members in dealing with their
- Deck Crew: Work in the wings to assist cast
members and move set pieces and scenery.
- Actor Refreshments Team: Purchase and provide water to actors
at technical rehearsals and performances at the theatre.
- Spotlight Operator: Operate spotlights during
tech and dress rehearsals and performances. [Training provided.]
- Lighting or Sound Board Operator: Operate the
lighting or sound board during tech and dress rehearsals and performances.
- Wardrobe Crew: Organize costumes before and
after performances, assist cast members with quick changes, and
deal with daily ironing/laundry issues.
- Video Assistant: Assist videographers with
camera set-ups, taping, & lobby sales
- Costume Repairs: Be present at dress rehearsals
and performances to help deal with costume emergencies. Basic
sewing and repair skills required.
- Strike Crew: Help break down and remove the
set, props and costume pieces from the theater at the conclusion
of the run.
- Ushering and House Management: Help sell concessions
at performances, take tickets and assist patrons in finding their
LINK: Volunteer Enrollment Form